While some teams are funded through their school board or have other sources of revenue, for others it is a struggle to collect the necessary funds. The purpose of this page is to help teams identify possible funding sources
Typical FIRST® LEGO® League Challenge team (ages 9 to 14) expenses are:
|FIRST® LEGO® League Challenge team registration* ($225 USD)||~$300 CDN|
|Shipping and handling of engineering notebook & ($42 USD)||~$55 CDN|
|Robot kit - EV3 education set plus expansion set recommended plus shipping ONE TIME PURCHASE||
|NSCC qualifier cost* (refundable)||$100 CDN|
|Table (approximately) *not required but recommended||$60 CDN|
*FIRST® LEGO® League Challenge teams that qualify, the Championship registration cost is $175.
*Note: Costs are higher for the FIRST® LEGO® League Challenge program than for the High School program. FIRST® LEGO® League Challenge teams that qualify, the RPC Championship registration cost is $175.
FUNDING is available to help assist with team expenses. For more information on any of the options below, please email: Heather Travers email@example.com
Robot loans - contact Jenna Watson-Findley firstname.lastname@example.org
Robots may be available through
Typical ROBOFEST team (grades 5-12) expenses are:
|Team registration on Robofest.net ($75 USD)||$95.00|
|Challenge supplies (varies year to year)||$50.00|
|Competition table -standard folding table- ONE TIME PURCHASE||$75.00|
Total - first year estimate
*estimate does NOT include robot kit
- FIRST Hardship Grants
FIRST offers One Time Only Hardship Grants. Applications are usually received in late June, July and late August. An eligible team must submit a letter to the FIRST Hardship Grant organizers explaining their financial situation and need. A recipient team will have their FIRST registration fee and shipping and handling fees (approximately $255 USD) covered by the grant. The team is expected to pay for the challenge kit and have an EV3 robot they can use. If a team has already paid for registration, they are no longer be eligible for this Grant.
- Michelin Support Grants
Currently, all FIRST® LEGO® League Challenge teams who qualify, register, AND attend the Acadia Robotic Championship, receive a cheque from the Michelin Support Fund for $75.00
- WISEatlantic: A reimbursement of $300 for NEW teams that are chosen through the WISE Atlantic applications. Eligibility criteria: (please see full list of criteria on WISE Atlantic website). Team must be at least 50% female members. They have limited funding; decisions on funding allotments on a first-come, first-served basis with preference given to new teams.
ALL TRAVEL BURSARIES are suspended for the 2020-2021 challenge year due to COVID-19 precautions.
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (EECD) Travel Bursary The EECD Travel Bursary is distributed through Acadia Robotics to help cover costs for Acadia Robotics Competition winning teams to attend world robotic competitions or other reputable international competitions as outlined in the criteria below:
EECD Eligibility Criteria:
- Teams must be comprised of public school students only. Community teams are eligible for funding, however they must be made up solely of students who attend public school in Nova Scotia.
- The team coach is required to apply to Acadia Robotics for the EECD travel bursary. This application must include a list of team members and proof of school enrollment. More details available upon request.
FIRST® LEGO® League Challenge ($3,000)
- $3,000 bursary awarded to the Champion 1st place team attending the World Robotics Competition or equivalent.
Please Note: If the Champion 1st Place Team chooses not to attend the World Robotics Competition or is ineligible for the bursary, Acadia will offer the $3,000 bursary to the Champion 2nd Place Team if they meet the eligibility criteria above.
Robofest (High School) Robotics ($6,000)
- $3,000 bursary awarded to the 1st Place (Game Competition) Team attending an international Robotics Competition.
- $3,000 bursary awarded to the 2nd Place (Game Competition) Team attending an international Robotics Competition